Cave Biserujka - get to know the Krk underground
- Travel style:
- Duration: 1 hours
- Transportation: Car
- because it is adorned with beautiful cave decorations – calcite speleothems, columns and stalactites
- because the cave is an important bio speleological site due to its extremely rich fauna
- because it is located near the picturesque village of Rudine, which is also worth a visit
Why Visit the Cave Biserujka?
Spend a day in nature! Visit the cave Biserujka, discover the village Rudine, walk along the educational trail and swim in one of the most beautiful coves on the island of Krk.
In the vicinity of the village of Rudine, there is the cave Biserujka. The cave has been known for centuries and the first record of the existence of the cave dates back to 1834 when it was mentioned in the court records as a refuge for smugglers. The legend says that the cave hides a treasure that has never been found, hence the name Biserujka (biser = Croatian for pearl).
Although relatively small (110 m in length and up to 15 m in depth), it offers an abundance of cave decorations such as calcite speleothems, columns and stalactites. Biserujka has an extremely rich cave fauna. There are also 6 endemic species living there, and it is also a typical site (locus typicus) of the Alpioniscuschristiani (an underground crustacean), the Anophthalmusmaderimaderi (an underground ground beatle) and the Neobisiuminsulare (an underground pseudoscorpion). In the lower channel of the cave, the remains of a cave bear were found.
The air temperature in the cave is about 15° C and the relative humidity is 95%. Therefore, if you visit Biserujka during the summer months, it will offer you a respite from the heat. The cave Biserujka consists of 3 halls (The Cypress Hall, Hall with Bridges and The Great Hall) and several other underground spaces.
After a visit to Biserujka, we recommend that you visit the village Rudine, which counts only five permanent residents and will enchant you with its karst landscape and old, stone, now ruinous houses. Below Rudine, there is the cove Slivanjska, which can be reached by taking the educational hiking trail, along which 5 info boards are placed to help you get to know the interesting things about landscapes you are walking through.
Since there are no shops nearby, make sure to take something to drink with you. If you plan to accept our suggestion and stay a little longer in this karst area, take some tidbit for the snack but not too much because we have another tip for you. When returning from Rudine, take a break in Čižići and indulge yourself with makaruni (homemade noodles) with goulash in one of the restaurants because this is a typical dish of the island of Krk.
- April & October - 10:00h - 15:00h
- May & June - 09:00h - 17:00h
- July & August - 09:00h - 18:00h
- September - 10:00h - 17:00h
- Entrance ticket
- Children up to 4 years (100%)
- Children from 4 to 12 years (33%)
- Important information
For the reservation to be valid, it is necessary to make a payment by card via the payment link in the next half hour.
If your payment link has expired, you can make a new reservation for the desired excursion/activity.
- Payment is made by credit card (Mastercard & Visa & Maestro).
- If you have difficulties paying by card, you can pay for the excursion/activity in cash at our reception: Mare Tours, Vrbnik, Trg sv. Ivana 8.
- If the organizer has to postpone the booked excursion/experience, guests can receive the paid amount back or accept an alternative date.
- General terms and conditions